Understanding the Benefits of Beard Growing Oil
The recent beard craze has seen the market become absolutely flooded with a huge number of beard care products—from simple shampoos and balms to a wide range products designed to help you grow a better, thicker and fuller beard. As we’ve recently covered the best beard growth products in a previous article, today we’re going to focus on the topic of beard growing oil to give you the lowdown on this popular category of products. Along with providing you with everything you need to know about beard growing oils, we’ll also provide you with short reviews of some of the top products so you know where to turn should you decide to give one a try.
The Truth about Beard Growing Oil
As was stated in that previous article, there has yet to be a single product to be FDA approved to improve facial hair growth. What this means is that most beard growth products don’t actually stimulate your facial follicles to grow thicker, fuller hairs in a shorter period of time, despite many of the manufacturers claiming that their products do exactly that. Rather, beard growing oils and other products provide nourishing and rehydrating benefits to the skin and facial hair in order to promote conditions for strong, healthy growth.
In short, no oil is going to miraculously make you sprout a thick, full beard from nothing, but that doesn’t mean that these products don’t still have their place. It just means that the term “beard growing oil” might be a bit misplaced, as there is very little to separate these so-called growth enhancers from your standard beard oils. Nonetheless, as each product contains its own unique ingredients’ list and each of these ingredients has its own properties, not all beard oils will work in the same way or provide the same benefits.
Therefore, to help you better understand which oils are better at promoting thicker, healthier hair growth, we’ll now present you with a list of some of the most common natural oils found in these products and the beneficial properties each one provides.
Choosing the Best Oil for Hair Growth and Thickness
Here is an helpful infographic that summarizes the best natural beard growing oils but if you want more detail, be sure to read the text below the infographic for more details.
Feel free to share! (but please be sure to reference the entire article as it has much more information)
Any good beard oil—whether it claims to promote hair growth or not—can provide a range of benefits to not only improve the look and feel of your facial hair, but also to make the beard-growing experience more pleasurable. One of the main benefits lies in moisturizing your face and hair. By locking in moisture, these oils can help strengthen the hairs to prevent split ends and breakage. This in turn can make your beard appear thicker and fuller.
Although they help moisturize and hydrate your skin, most beard oils won’t clog your pores meaning there’s generally no need to worry about using them if you’re a frequent sufferer of acne or pimples. In fact, rather than making your skin break out, many oils can have the opposite effect and actually improve your skin complexion.
The softening effects of beard oils also makes them a great choice for when you first start growing a beard, as they can help minimize ingrown hairs and reduce the pain and irritation that comes with new facial hair growth. If you frequently suffer from irritation, dry skin or beard dandruff, a quality oil can help to reduce or eliminate these issues as well.
Still, all of these benefits apply to virtually any type of beard oil, which is why it’s important to look into some of the most common natural oils to determine which ones are best for promoting hair growth. While you can find a wide range of different natural oils in the various products, any good beard growing oil really ought to contain one or all of the following oils among its primary ingredients.
- Argan Oil. Among all of the natural oils, argan is considered far-and-away one of the best due to its many beneficial properties. In Morocco, where argan trees naturally grow, the oil has been used for centuries for culinary, medicinal and cosmetic uses. Not only can it be used to help heal burns and treat arthritis, but argan oil is also effective at eliminating acne and problems with dry, itchy or flaky skin. This moisturizing oil provides many moisturizing and hydrating benefits to the skin and hair, while also containing high levels of naturally occurring vitamin E that helps to repair cellular damage to the hair to further strengthen it. In terms of oils to promote healthy, shiny and strong hair growth, argan oil really is the gold standard. This oil is especially useful if you spend long hours outdoors, as it can help protect your hair and repair damage from constant exposure to heat, wind and other elements.
- Jojoba Oil. Along with argan oil, jojoba oil is the other oil that’s most often recommended for promoting hair growth. This oil also contains high levels of strengthening vitamin E and provides most of the same benefits as argan oil. The oil comes from a shrub that’s native to the southwestern United States and Mexico and was frequently used by Native Americans to treat burns, wounds and other skin issues. When used either on its own or in conjunction with argan or other oils, jojoba provides the necessary moisture and nutrients to give your beard a much-needed boost.
- Castor Oil. Following closely behind argan and jojoba is castor oil, which is also high in vitamin E and various other minerals and proteins that make it great for your hair. Castor is excellent for reducing skin irritation, dryness and flaky skin. Plus, it also helps promote increased blood circulation, which may actually help promote slightly faster growth. Unfortunately, castor oil is incredibly thick and viscous, meaning it doesn’t absorb into the skin and hair as easily and is also hard to wash out. For this reason, most products that contain this oil only use it in smaller amounts in conjunction with other oils.
- Coconut Oil. The beneficial properties of coconut oil make it one of the most common products found in beard balms, but it’s also found in a number of beard oils as well. Coconut oil provides excellent conditioning properties, helping to soften and strengthen the hair to prevent breakage. The oil rapidly penetrates deeply into skin and hair to lock in moisture.
- Olive Oil. Like the others, olive oil is rich in vitamin E. It also contains high levels of antioxidants, which help to promote healthy cellular growth. Of all the natural oils, olive oil makes the best conditioner, and thus will make your beard softer, shinier and more manageable.
- Grape Seed Oil. Although it may not provide quite the same level of nourishing and hydrating benefits as the other oils, grape seed oil ranks highly for one main reason. That’s because it’s been shown to be incredibly effective at unclogging pores to prevent acne and also at eliminating problems with ingrown hairs, which makes it a great choice for new beard growth.
- Emu Oil. Definitely the most controversial oil on this list, and also the only one that comes from a non-plant based source, emu oil is often promoted as a cure for baldness, as well as psoriasis, dandruff and other skin conditions. Although it hasn’t been scientifically proven to increase hair growth, this hasn’t stopped thousands of men from using it in an attempt to cure their baldness—sometimes with quite positive results. This oil is derived from the fat of the emu (those large flightless birds from Australia that aren’t ostriches), and it contains a mix of essential fatty acids that allows emu oil to provide many benefits to the skin and hair. Some people even claim the oil can help awaken dormant hair follicles and promote faster cellular regeneration. While these claims haven’t been fully backed up, there’s still no doubt that emu oil can provide many of the same benefits (and possibly even more) as some of the other oils on this list.
- Essential Oils. All of the above are so-called carrier oils, which form the primary base ingredients of all beard oils. However, many beard oils also contain essential oils. Although these are primarily used more for fragrance purposes, certain essential oils also have other properties that can be beneficial for your beard. For instance, besides imparting a pleasant, manly scent, cedarwood essential oil is also an effective treatment against dandruff, and some people even claim it can promote new hair growth and prevent hair loss. Cypress essential oil is also another beneficial ingredient, as it can increase blood circulation. Similarly, rosemary oil can also increase circulation to ensure your facial follicles receive more nutrients. Peppermint, lemon, thyme, patchouli and ylang-ylang essential oils are also commonly found in many products for a number of the same reasons.
Now that you know a bit more about what ingredients you should look for in a beard growing oil, it’s finally time to check out the products themselves. As there are absolutely thousands of different oils on the market, there’s no way we could ever attempt to try out all of them. Nonetheless, after extensive research, we’ve narrowed it down to a list of the top 10 best oils for beard growth, which we’ll now present in no particular order.
9 Best Beard Growing Oil Products of 2019
1. Wild Willie’s Liquid Gold Beard Oil
Handcrafted in the United States, Wild Willie’s Liquid Gold Beard Oil is free from synthetic chemicals, preservatives and artificial colors. Still, this brand takes it one step further by only using all-natural, organic, non-GMO ingredients that are sustainably sourced to ensure the highest quality. This beard oil contains a special blend of 10 different carrier oils, essential oils, vitamins and minerals that will make your beard healthy, shiny and happy. With argan oil as the primary ingredient, this product is entirely nut free, meaning it’s even safe to use for people with severe tree nut allergies. Although it does contain essential oils, this product has a very mild, pleasing scent that most people seem to love.
2. Beard Flux XL
Beard Flux XL, which also made our list of best beard growth products, is made from pure, organic oils that are designed to promote healthy, strong hair growth. The manufacturer claims that the product provides increased volume and helps to maximize hair growth, and judging by the stellar reviews, this seems to be at least partly true. This unscented formula is easy to apply and absorbs quickly into the skin, allowing you to improve the quality of your beard in just a few seconds a day and without leaving behind any greasy or smelly residue.
3. Beardaholic Natural Beard Oil
Entirely free of GMOs, parabens and additives, Beardaholic Natural Beard Oil’s blend of argan, jojoba, castor, wheat germ and grape seed oils is designed to give your beard a real pick-me-up. In addition to these beneficial, healing oils, this product also contains natural pine fragrance to give it a nice woody scent that makes it ideal for those who work in smelly or greasy environments like kitchens or construction.
4. Sexy Beast Beard Oil
Made from a proprietary blend of nine different oils, including argan, jojoba, apricot, avocado and hempseed, UltraLife’s Sexy Beast Beard Oil is an ideal choice for all beard types. Argan and jojoba are the primary ingredients to ensure effectiveness, while all of the other oils provide added benefits. This product also includes additional vitamin E oil to further strengthen and repair your facial hair. The oil is also entirely scent-free, so there’s no need to worry about any fragrances interfering with your cologne.
5. Rugged Roots Beard Oil
Rugged Roots Beard Oil is made from a blend of argan, jojoba and grape seed oils. The product features absolutely no fillers, parabens, GMOs or other additives, making it an ideal choice for anyone looking for something that’s safe and all natural. This oil is available in your choice of three fresh, masculine scents—citrus musk, bay rum, and the popular orange cedarwood. There’s also an Incognito unscented version available for those that prefer a fragrance-free oil.
6. Moroccan Beard Oil by Brooklyn Botany
Specially crafted in Brooklyn using only the finest natural ingredients, Brooklyn Botany’s Moroccan Beard Oil is another argan oil-based product that imparts a healthy shine and strength to your facial hair. Along with the argan oil, this product also contains apricot kernel oil for extra vitamin E and moisturizing properties, sesame oil to darken hair and promote increased circulation and olive oil for added softness and shine. Like most others on our list, this product is made without GMOs, synthetic additives or parabens to protect your health and that of the planet.
7. Beard Necessities Unscented Beard Oil
Simple, yet effective—Beard Necessities Unscented Beard Oil contains jojoba, argan, grape seed and coconut oils to ensure your skin and beard look their best. Although it is technically sold as unscented, this oil actually contains a small amount of rosemary essential oil that gives it a quite subtle, almost spicy fragrance.
8. Rocky Mountain Barber Company Cedarwood Beard Oil & Leave-In Conditioner
Easily one of the best beard growing oils we’ve come across, this fantastic product from Rocky Mountain Barber Company far outperforms most others on the market. This is because each and every ingredient has been specially chosen to provide your beard that much-needed assistance—from the cedarwood essential oil that imparts a fantastic smell and promotes healthy hair growth to the argan, coconut, jojoba and grape seed oils. This product also contains a whole range of other beneficial essential oils, including rosemary, lime, lavender and tea tree.
9. Purest Naturals Organic Rose Beard Oil & Leave-In Conditioner
Another all-natural product, Purest Naturals Organic Rose Beard Oil contains a special blend that’s designed to soften even the coarsest beards to eliminate breaking. The oil also works wonders on your skin, helping to soothe it and also preventing dryness and irritation.
Prim & Prep Editors are a team of male grooming experts in their respective fields, including Karl Schmidt (Beards / Facial Hair), Ben Rose (Shaving / Body Grooming / Skincare), and Ethan Stone (Men’s Style). Their work has been featured on many prominent men’s publications including AskMen, Men’s Health, and GQ. Be sure to check out the review process for details on Prim & Prep’s product review methodology or contact them below.