Now the easiest way to get rid of that hair is to have a helping hand from your significant other or a very good friend to shave your back. Many people don’t have somebody around that are willing to provide such assistance. If that is the case for you, you don’t necessarily have to deal with this issue on your own. There is always the option of recruiting professional help at a waxing salon but this can be very embarrassing, expensive, and painful. Fortunately there are some products out there that will allow you to remove your back hair on your own! I will mention these products throughout the following detailed instructions provided below. So whether you have recruited a helping hand or you are going the do-it-yourself route, this guide will give you the necessary information to complete the task efficiently and effectively so you can pull off that shirt with confidence.
1. AcquireAppropriate Supplies
- Hand Mirror – This is necessary so you can see what you are doing.
- Preshave Oil and Shaving Cream/Gel – The preshave oil will help loosen up the skin and hair which will provide it easier smoother shave. I recommend using a shaving gel over a shaving cream as I believe it is easier to get complete coverage over the entire area and you are more easily able to see what you’re doing which is one of the primary challenges of shaving your own back.
- Razor – There are multiple options that you can choose from, but I will go to the ones I think are best and focus on the products that will allow you to perform this procedure on your own
- Razorba Back Hair Shaver – This nifty product attaches to Gillette Mach 3,Gillette Sensor Excel,bic, and other disposable razors. The Razorba gives you that extra reach ( approximately 16”) that allows you to get the job done on your own. I recommend using the Gillette Mach 3 as this is not only the best razor of the possible attachment models but one of the best replacement cartridge razors on the market overall. Check out our list of the best disposable razors as well as our post comparing Mach 3 vs Fusion. If you’re shaving your own back and want the closest smoothest shave, this is the product I would recommend. They really did a great job at designing this product to make shaving your back as fast and easy as possible. Don’t just take my word for it, check out other unbiased user reviews on Amazon which give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars with almost 500 reviews! You can buy it for about $23 on Amazon.com.
- Check the current price here on Amazon
- Check out all of the other amazing customer reviews to see what other people have to say.
- Mangroomer – The man groomer’s electric shaver with an adjustable elongated handle allows you to reach those hard spots on her middle and lower back. this product makes it very easy to shave your back on your own without the risk of nicks and cuts but won’t provide quite as close and smooth of the shave is a razor. The length of the blade is adjustable so if you simply want to trim your back hair in lieu of the complete shave this product will allow you to do so. There are multiple models of this product ranging from $25-$50.the newest model is the man groomer ultimate Pro. Improvements on this model relative to past models include:
- two interchangeable shaving heads including one ultra-wide groomer head (1.8”) to get all the longhairs quickly in a foiled body to get that extra smooth shave.
- shock absorbers on the head and the handle to allow you to go over the skin without having to worry about applying too little or too much pressure.
- I also like the added push lock allows you to lock in handle at a multitude of angles.
Overall, based on the new features, the Ultimate Pro is well worth the additional costs. Check out the article on best body hair trimmers for more details on the various Mangroomers.
- Applicator Brush – If you are shaving your own back, you also need an elongated applicator brush so you can apply the preshave oil, shaving gel and other products on your entire back.
– If you decide to purchase the Razorba, there is an additional attachment called the stud stamper for an additional $11 (3 Pack). It’s an applicator brush that attaches to the end of the Razorba.
– There are also traditional applicator brushes as well. The Aquasentials Easy Lotion Applicator is a great one and only cost are $7 on Amazon.
- Antiseptic and Moisturizer – These are essential products for post-shave maintenance.
2. Take a Warm Shower
Now that we have all the necessary supplies we’re ready to get started. The first step is simply to take a nice warm shower to loosen up the hair and skin. I would suggest that you remain in the shower when performing the actual shaving as this will make cleanup much easier.
3. Apply Preshave Oil and Shave Gel
After you dry your back, apply the preshave oil first with an applicator brush and then apply the shave gel. Use your bathroom mirror and hand mirror to ensure that you have appropriate coverage.
If you’re doing it yourself, shave in a upward motion. I preferred using small short strokes as this will ensure appropriate coverage and reduce the chances of nicks and cuts. When you think you’re don,e be sure to a do a thorough inspection to see if you’ve missed any spots. If so, apply more shaving gel to those identified areas and shave.
5. Apply Antiseptic and Moisturizer
Once you are satisfied, you should apply antiseptic with the applicator brush to help close the pores and kill any bacteria that can cause pimples as the back can be a problematic area for acne. Then apply a moisturizer or aftershave balm to replenish your skin and prevent irritation. Don’t worry, we’ve done all the testing and research for you. Check out our lists of the best body lotions for men and the best aftershave balms so you don’t waste your money on the wrong product.
If You Have a Helping Hand – If you have somebody to help you out, simply follow the instructions above the same as you would if you’re doing it yourself but obviously the products, such as the applicator brush and the Razorba will not be necessary.
Electric Shaver – If you decide to use the electric shaver, the preshave oil and shaving gel are not necessary but I would still definitely use an antiseptic and moisturizer/aftershave balm after shaving.
Well there you have it. All you need to know on how to shave your back. Soon you’ll be showing off that BBS (Baby Bottom Smooth) back at the pool, beach, and most importantly, in the bedroom. Please provide any comments, insights, or questions in the comment box below. I always appreciate other people’s perspectives and I’m happy to answer any follow up questions you may have. If you want to achieve that desired BBS shave on your face be sure to check out our reviews of the top safety razors, top-tier shaving soaps, and more.
Be sure to check out these surveys and vetted lists of the best products to keep your skin looking and feeling its best, along with detailed guides on selecting the best one for your specific needs.
Ben Rose is the founder and senior editor at Prim&Prep, the definitive guide to male grooming. He is a wet shaving expert, body grooming aficionado, and skincare guru. His work has been featured on many other prominent men’s publications including AskMen, Men’s Health, and GQ.